Whether you’re home for the holidays or looking for a winter wonderland by the waves, toss the jingle for this list of festive events in the La Jolla community.
Events for all ages
• Hotel La Valencia welcomes a tree lighting Thursday, December 1 at 1132 Prospect St. The event will begin at 4:30 p.m. and will include drinks, treats, music, singers and crafts. The tree lighting will be at 5:45 p.m. Free. lavalencia.com
• La Jolla/Riford Library presents “Deck the Halls” at 4 p.m. on Friday, December 2, at 7555 Draper Avenue. Children and teenagers are invited to decorate the youth areas of the library. Free. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hotel La Valencia presents “Storytime brunch with Santa Claus” at 11 a.m. Saturday, December 3, 10, and 17 and Sunday, December 18 at 1132 Prospect St. The event will include The Mediterranean Room’s brunch menu with a visit from Santa. lavalencia.com
• The La Jolla Christmas Parade and Holiday Festival begins its 66th annual festivities at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, December 4, featuring tours and photos with Santa, fun and educational exhibits, a menorah and Christmas tree display and more along Wall Street on Girard Avenue . The parade will start at 1:30 p.m. at Girard and Kline Street and head north on Girard, turn left on Prospect Street and end at Prospect and Draper Avenue in front of the La Jolla Recreation Center. Free. ljparade.com
• The Franco-American School of San Diego presents “Christmas market” from 2:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday, December 9 at 6550 Soledad Mountain Road. The winter fair will feature shopping, food and family activities. Free. bit.ly/SDFASNChristmas
• The La Jolla Open Aire Market presents its winter carnival from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, December 11, on the grounds of La Jolla Elementary School, on Girard Avenue and Genter Street. The event will include photos with Santa Claus, live music, crafts and face painting. Free. lajollamarket.com
• La Jolla Music Society presents “Holidays to sing at the Conrad” at 5 p.m. on Sunday, December 11, at Wu Tsai QRT.yrd, 7600 Fay Ave. La Jolla Youth Services Librarian Katia Graham will read “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas” and a local choir will perform holiday tunes. Patrons are encouraged to pick up a book to donate to Friends of La Jolla Library. Free. Registration is mandatory. theconrad.org/events
• La Jolla/Riford Library presents “The Nutcracker Story Time” at 4 p.m. on Friday, December 16, at 7555 Draper Ave. City Ballet of San Diego’s Sugar Plum Fairy from “The Nutcracker” will be leading a special story hour and raffling off tickets to the ballet. Free. E-mail email@example.com.
• The La Jolla Recreation Center hosts a film screening event beginning at 3 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16 at 615 Prospect St., featuring “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” at sunset, a visit from Santa, a bouncy house and obstacle course, face painting and Moreover. Free. (858) 552-1658
• Hotel La Valencia presents gingerbread house decoration at 11 a.m. on Monday, December 19, at 1132 Prospect St. Guests can decorate a gingerbread house from top to bottom and have chocolate milk and cookies. Each guest 21 and over will receive a glass of champagne. $100. lavalencia.com
• Chabad de La Jolla presents a Hanukkah celebration at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, December 21 at Hotel La Valencia, 1132 Prospect St. The event will include menorah lighting, a children’s program, food and more. Free. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The La Jolla/Riford Library presents a “Midday New Year’s Eve” at 11 a.m. on Thursday, December 29 at 7555 Draper Ave. The party will start with a story and will include dancing, snacks and a countdown to noon. Free. E-mail email@example.com.
• La Jolla Music Society presents “Great Storm: Holiday Ordeal” at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, December 10 at the Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center, 7600 Fay Ave. The event will feature music, gags, giveaways and special guests, with songs such as “2000 Miles”, “Hallelujah” and “Sock Santa Claus is mine. $31 and up; must be 18 or older to attend. theconrad.org/events
• La Jolla Presbyterian Church presents its Christmas concert at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., Sunday, December 11, at 7715 Draper Avenue. The Church Choir Choir and King’s Brass will perform. A reception will follow the 7 p.m. concert. Free; reservations are recommended. ljpres.org/concert-series
• Camarada presents “Charlie Brown Jingles and Jazz” at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, December 17, at the Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center, 7600 Fay Ave. Peter Sprague will perform the soundtrack for the TV special “A Charlie Brown Christmas” and more. $35 and up. theconrad.org/events
• The Stellarum Chamber Choir presents “A Christmas Party” at 7 p.m. on Thursday, December 22, at St. James by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 743 Prospect St. Free. bit.ly/StellarumDec22
Food and drink
• Hotel La Valencia presents “Holiday Tea at The Med” at 11 a.m. on various days starting Thursday, Dec. 1 at 1132 Prospect St. The event will include high teas accompanied by scones, quiches, sandwiches, mini pastries and more. $85 per adult; $45 for children under 10. Reservations are required. lavalencia.com
• Mr. Jingles Christmas Trees opens in La Jolla for the 2022 holiday season on Friday, November 25 at 6710 La Jolla Blvd. The bundle will offer in-person purchases of trees, ornaments, lights, wreaths and more, as well as online ordering and delivery services, tree installation and removal. mrjingleschristmastrees.com
• Westfield UTC Shopping Center presents “Magic Moments” from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, December 2 and 3 and December 9 and 10, at 4545 La Jolla Village Drive. Activities will include Christmas lights, live music, Westfield’s seasonal snow globe characters, the Winter Fairy and her snowy friends and more. Free.
• St. James by-the-Sea Episcopal Church hosts a Christmas Bazaar 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3 and 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4 at 743 Prospect St. featuring ornaments, trees, decor, clothing, bakeware, toys, jewelry, paper wrap and more Again. FREE ENTRANCE. sjbts.org
• The San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance and the Warwick Bookstore present a “Children’s Book Fair for the Holidays: Crazy Reading!” » from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, December 3, in the courtyard of the Merrill Lynch Building at 7825 Fay Ave. The event will include guest appearances by authors and book signings, appearances by Wildlife Ambassadors at the San Diego Zoo, performances by Dr. Zoolittle, giveaways for kids and more. $30; includes family admission and three books. warwicks.com/event/wild-about-reading-2022
• The Perry Gallery hosts a Christmas open house from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, December 3 at 2218 Avenida de la Playa. The event will feature new works by local artists, giveaways, art demonstrations and music. Several artists will be present. Free. theperrygallery.com
• The Bird Rock Artist Guild presents its “Holiday Art in the Garden” at 11 a.m. on Saturday, December 3, at 5571 Bellevue Avenue. Bird Rock resident Leslie Davis will open her garden filled with works by local artists. The event will also include live music, refreshments and shopping. Donations will be accepted for ArtReach, Unity4 Orphans and the Center for World Music. facebook.com/BirdRockArtistGuild
• The La Jolla Community Center presents a holiday party at 5 p.m. on Friday, December 9 at 6811 La Jolla Blvd. The event will feature music, hors d’oeuvres, a silent auction, prizes and more. Free for benefactor members of the community center; $10 for members; $25 for non-members. Registration is mandatory. ljcommunitycenter.org ◆